Monday, March 07, 2005

Bloggers take a hit

Found a great link to comments on a recent court ruling:

California Shield Laws Don't Protect Bloggers

In this case, a judge ruled that the state's shield laws that protect journalists from revealing confidential sources do NOT apply to bloggers. In the case Apple v. Doe, California Superior Court Judge James Kleinberg ruled that three bloggers had to reveal the sources that told them about new products Apple would be releasing.

From the facts of the case, it seems Judge Kleinberg does not recognize blogging as a form of journalism worthy of First Amendment protection. His opinion seems aligned with many in the "mainstream media", who dismiss blogging as nothing more than "trash writing."

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie Costello said...

I can't say I'm totally shocked by the judge's reasoning -- I mean, so many people in this world do not even know what blogging is. I hope that in the future, though, bloggers will be considered part of the journalism world.

March 9, 2005 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger yourCareBear said...

I didn't realize that people's lives... in which most cases are what their blogs are about... was/is considered 'trash talking'. I think that what we write should be kept private... if that particular blogger wishes it to public they too should also have that choice. Besides, don't we as American's have the right of: FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I say BLOG on my friends!

March 9, 2005 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger K. Donald Kondik said...

This is a tricky one. THe governement, though, as evidenced by the case involving Judith Miller, is not protecting journalists as it should. I personally am kind of on record as saying that bloggers, in many cases, aren't really journalists. I think judges should have discretion in that - is Josh Marshall a journalist (yes). Are the guys at Power Line (probably not). But I guess if you're doing journalistic things you should be protected by journalistic codes. Damn. This is a tough one.

March 12, 2005 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Ben Wickert,
I have been researching peer to peer file sharing resources and I stumbled upon your blog. Although Bloggers take a hit isn't what I was really after, it made a change from the usual run-of-the-mill blogs I normally seem to find. I'm going now to find more information on peer to peer file sharing. Take care.

November 13, 2005 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger result said...

This has been so enlightening. I´ve discovered your website today and i´m enjoying it so much. It is full of smart advices!organic pet food

October 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger result said...

Awesome post! I have gradually become fan of your information and would like to suggest putting some new updates to make it more effective. Golf Accessories

December 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home