Thursday, February 03, 2005

P2P File sharing as a business practice

I found a link from another law blog done by a Harvard University student. His blog focuses specifically on intellectual property law.

Anyway, here's the link: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cmusings/2005/01/24#a1025

The link includes the summary of an argument, as well as the PDF text, for a Supreme Court amicus brief. The case, MGM v. Grokster, is yet another in the raging battle between P2P (person-to-person) file sharing systems and recording companies. The brief states P2P mechanisms represent substantial technological advancements that should not be unreasonably inhibited. The brief then states that when such advancements inhibit the creative process of artists, judicial action must be taken. The brief specifically mentions "common law" remedies to be taken.

This is a good example of the typical position advanced by the recording companies. MGM takes the same stance that Sony did in their case against Napster, emphasizing the creative inhibition P2P services . Although the battle will continue between P2P and recording companies, at the very least this case gives rise to more common law remedies to apply in the future.

Comments?

6 Comments:

Blogger Memcco P2P said...

For you Movie Lovers out there! If any of your bloggers are interested in P2P Software for free music and movie downloading, go see my P2P related site. Links to The Top 12 P2P Softwares are here.

October 2, 2005 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about download business resource management tracking spreadsheet related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

October 21, 2005 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Steven Westphal said...

A pretty cool blog. Here is something for you. music downloading programs

October 22, 2005 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Ben Wickert,
I have been researching p2p file sharing resources and I stumbled upon your blog. Although P2P File sharing as a business practice isn't what I was really after, it made a change from the usual run-of-the-mill blogs I normally seem to find. I'm going now to find more information on p2p file sharing. Take care.

November 14, 2005 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger alberthaanstra said...

Hello friend. Thanks for having me on your great blog today. Blogger should be happy to have you on board! Do you need free debt consolidation? Well, look no further. I help you for free my friend. I have tried and tested all sites But, the best was debt-consolidation.com. So, let me help you. Fill in the form today for free. And be debt free. Get credit repair today!

April 13, 2006 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger result said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me. would you mind updating your blog with more informationorganic pet food

October 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home